2 September 2023
ASEAN summit in Jakarta
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.
From the adoption of the Five Point Consensus in April 2021 to the 2023 summit in Jakarta, ASEAN has met and discussed the issue of Myanmar numerous times, but the 5PC has still not been successfully implemented.
In this video, Myanmar Witness looks at how attitudes towards the 5PC have shifted over the past 2 years.
Will ASEAN push on with the 5PC or will the 2023 summit result in a new approach?
Five Point Consensus
1. That all violence in Myanmar be halted immediately.
2. That parties concerned engage in constructive dialogue to seek a peaceful solution in the interests of the people.
3. That a special envoy of the ASEAN chair facilitate mediation of the dialogue process, with the assistance of the Secretary-General of ASEAN.
4. That ASEAN provide humanitarian assistance.
5. That the special envoy and delegation visit Myanmar to meet with all parties concerned.